You’ve started to investigate new opportunities and now you’ve made it to a phone interview. Congrats! Now is the opportunity to make a good first impression and discover more about the company and hiring manager. Here are some quick tips from specialty chemical recruiters.
- Have the time and date marked on the calendar and set a reminder.
- Set aside time and find a place to take the call with minimal distractions or outside noise.
- Research the company ahead of time- look at their website and social media accounts and make note of any questions or points to mention in the call
- Do your research on who you will be speaking with– if you are working with a recruiter, ask about the hiring manager’s background. Look up details on LinkedIn and the company website.
- Review the job description before the call. Make note of anything you would like clarification on.
- Have your resume in front of you for the call to be ready to discuss specific points.
- Have a list of questions ready- write them down and have them in front of you. These can be about the job responsibilities, expectations, culture, the team, etc.
- Think about potential answers. Have an idea of what you would like to say to common interview questions or what things you would like to highlight in your experience.
- Have specific examples from your work experience ready to discuss.
- Keep the call conversational. It should not be one-sided. Allow for the interviewer to speak and listen to what is said. Respond and keep it conversational.
- Take notes on things that catch your attention or may want to look further into.
- Dress for success. Even though the interviewer cannot see you, dress in a way that will keep you feeling focused and confident.
- Smile and look up. There is an audible difference in the way a person sounds when they smile and when they are not looking down. A smile can be heard through the phone and show some energy in the call.
- Ask about the next steps
- Write a thank-you note or email to the interviewer for their time to help leave a good impression and be more memorable. Express your interest in the role and mention a couple of points that were discussed in the call. Ask about or confirm the next steps.
Phone interviews are a great way for a candidate and company to get to know each other before doing an onsite. It gives not only the hiring manager an opportunity to screen candidates, but also candidates the opportunity to decide if they would like to move further in the process. These interviews can be especially essential if the interviewers and candidates are in varying locations. Phone interviews are often the first step in making a great impression. Review these tips to ensure you make it to the next round of interviews!
Are you looking for top talent in the Specialty Chemical, Plastics, or Animal Health industry?
Contact us to discuss how we can bring top leadership talent to your team. Boaz Partners is a premier executive search firm focused on the direct recruitment of executives and professionals for the specialty chemicals and plastics space. We are your partner, and our focus is on custom recruiting solutions.